The following letter was emailed to all enrolled families on 7/8/2022 via our new email messaging platform - Infinite Campus Messenger. We are aware that due to a technical issue, the letter did not reach all families, and are working to resolve the issue for future communications. We apologize for the inconvenience. To learn more about IC Messenger, visit our District Launches IC Messenger news article.
July 08, 2022 TRANSPORTATION LETTER
Dear Hilltopper Parents/Guardians:
As the 2021-22 school year comes to a close, the Transportation Department is preparing for the 2022-23 school year. Several necessary changes have been implemented for next year focusing on providing safe, efficient, and reliable transportation. Please note the following changes:
- A district survey was conducted for Chardon families to “opt-in” to transportation next year. This will help the department route students who require bussing, creating efficient routes.
- The district will implement a two-tier bussing system, similar to the 2017-18 school year. The first tier will transport Chardon Middle School and Chardon High School students. To execute this plan, the new building times are:
- Chardon High School:
- Bus Drop-Off-7:15 AM, Start-7:35 AM, End-2:40 PM
- Late start Wednesdays: Start-8:55 AM
- Chardon Middle School:
- Bus Drop-Off-7:20 AM, Start-7:40 AM, End-2:45 PM
- Based on the survey results, the following CHS students need transportation:
- 9th- 150
- 10th- 162
- 11th- 94
- An earlier drop-off time at the middle school will be designated for CHS students transporting their younger siblings to CMS to alleviate anticipated traffic congestion. This will also allow CHS students to arrive at school on time.
- Drop-off patterns for car riders at CMS and CHS will change. Look for that information to be shared at a later date. Park and Munson will be the second tier, with the following bell times:
- Bus Drop-Off-9:10 AM, Start-9:20 AM, End-3:40 PM
- Students in Kindergarten attending Chardon Early Learning Center (Maple) will have their own buses in the AM and PM with the following bell times:
- Chardon Early Learning Center: Bus Drop-Off-9:00 AM, Start-9:15 AM, End-3:30 PM
- Drivers will continue to provide door stops during the AM routes, however, we will create more “group” stops in the PM. This will primarily impact the first tier, by limiting the travel and time spent driving down cul-de-sacs allowable by state law (½ mile).
- Our primary focus with the above changes is to reduce students' “ride time” on buses. The goal is to have students home within 50 minutes of their departure from school. On a typical day, buses will leave the school grounds ten minutes after the departure bell.
- The above changes will not impact students who require special accommodations.
- Routes will be created and shared with the community using the StopFinder App within two weeks prior to the first day of school.
- The Transportation Department will continue to utilize the same support resources for parents (StopFinder, GeoAlerts) next year.
- A strategic recruiting plan has been developed and we hope to train and hire several drivers over the summer.
The above changes are necessary and will improve our ability to transport students to school efficiently. If you have any questions or concerns, please click HERE and we will post responses on the transportation website under “2022-23 FAQs.”
Business Affairs Supervisor
Chardon Local Schools